29 January 2009

The Forgotten Sola

"Whatever you do whether you eat or drink, do unto the glory of God"
1 Corinthians 10:31



Being a Reformed Christian, I hold firm to the five solas: I am saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone according to Scripture alone and to God alone be the glory. "Solus Christus" and "Sola Gratia" are even held by Roman Catholics while "Sola Scriptura" and "Sola Fide" are the hallmarks of Protestantism. However, in this particular note, I want to concern myself with the last (but by all means not the least) sola: Soli Deo Gloria...To God Alone be the Glory.

For me, this sola is the one most identifiable with the Reformed faith. Now, many would say that the distinctiveness of Reformed Christianity lie in its emphasis on the holiness and the sovereignty of God to which I would offer a hearty "Amen." However, given the traditional Reformed view of both God's sovereignty and holiness, it necessarily follows that He and He alone must receive all of the glory. Everything in nature from atoms to supernovas can trace their cause to the Creator. The beauty and order, the intricacy and immensity of the Creation is glorious and that glory belongs to God because it finds its origin in God. Consider the fact that we are not sinners because we sin, but we sin because we are sinners. It is our nature. Likewise, God is not glorious because of His glorious creation; rather, His creation is glorious because God in His being is utterly glorious. (Not the best analogy, but I’m not the best wordsmith)

This brings us back to "Soli Deo Gloria." What bearing does that have for our Christian walk? I always saw Sunday morning worship (and for you Baptists, Sunday night and Wednesday night worship), daily prayer, fellowship, and Bible study as things that brought glory to God. I still believe they do, but I saw a major disconnect between the heavenly and the terrestrial; between the sacred and the secular. Homework, chores, work, and even amusement are all at their root "bad." I always felt like I was "being a friend of the world" by participated in such fleeting endeavors. I sincerely thought in my heart of hearts that the monks and nuns must have had it right when they resigned themselves of the world and its pollutions and sought the face God amidst poverty, seclusion, and self-denial. I even thought this after I had studied a plethora of Reformed resources. Then the Spirit of God moved in my heart.

One afternoon I was out picking up yard debris to make way for my dad and the mower. I had grown accustomed to the chore but had always hated it, especially at my family's old house where we had almost exclusively pine trees. Those pines meant pine cones. The worst were the spiny green pine cones which had to be handled very gingerly one at the time. This made the job tedious and thankless. However, I grew up and moved to a new house with just towering oaks. This afternoon was remarkably temperate; the sun shone brightly and the breeze blew nicely. As I collected the various sticks and fallen limbs to cast into the fire (I smell a parable) I found myself feeling accomplished and fulfilled. My dad was readying the mower and in passing thanked me and told me how proud he was to have me as his son. I then thought that my completion of mundane chores was fulfilling the commandment of honoring my father and mother. In effect, that was pleasing to my Father in heaven. Soli Deo Gloria was finally clear to me. My school work, chores, job, the exercise of my talents, and even my recreation can be honoring to God and bring Him glory! What a way to breed true greatness in individuals! It always strikes me as ironic when those outside Christ claim that submitting oneself to a higher power (particularly the one revealed in Scripture) will rob you of your true potential and stunt your creativity and ambition. What a devilish lie! Being made anew in Christ awakens one true potential, redefines ones ambitions, redirects ones talents, and ultimately quickens ones spirit. He is the master potter and we are the lowly clay.

Some closing thoughts. This sola should not be abused by those wishing to excuse sinful behavior since sinful behavior among God's elect does not bring glory but rather shame to God's good name. Also, I'm not promoting a pseudo-"your best life now" ethos. Success, improvement, and accomplishment are defined much differently by God than they are by the world. I hope that some of those who read this note will glean some insight from it. If anyone who reads this has any bits of advice or resources which relate to the topic of "Soli Deo Gloria,” please pass them along. Biblical reproof and correction are also humbly accepted!

Grace and peace,
Sam

1 comment:

THEOparadox said...

Sam,

Great thoughts. Thanks for posting.

Derek Ashton

PS - I live near Jacksonville, so St. Augustine is where I go for a good restaurant! I enjoy the old city, but not the crowds and traffic.